Thursday 10 September 2020

Number four



The Clifden Nonpareil story is far from over this year; a fourth arrival surprised me this morning after a notably cold night which left my expectations of an interesting moth guest-list low. A fresher and less wingedge-damaged specimen than its three predecessors, it is an excellent sign that this wonderful moth is breeding here or nearby. Interestingly, when I was watching the trap in the dark the night before last, I saw what I am sure was a very large moth rather than a bat, flying almost at the top of our mature oak tree. So that may have been another. 

Big moths are often sluggish first thing in the morning, for example the various hawks which are consequently very easy to photograph. The Nonpareil shares this blessing. I spent a good ten minutes with it as it gradually warmed up, gently fluttering those great big wings.  In the end, I deposited it gently on a stone wall where its wing camouflage seemed most effective, against a pattern of lichen and old stone.  Here are some more pictures of a sight which always makes my day.




Another big moth is around at the moment but one which drew the short straw in terms of appearance. I found this Old Lady apparently expired in the road by the canal. But the warmth of my hand as I cradled it for a photo seemed to revive it and I left it quietly twitching its antennae and front legs on a flowerbed here at home.




The overall population of the trap was sparse last night and a couple of wine ropes which I put out experimentally (muslin steeped in a mixture of red wine and sugar) didn't have any customers (although they might have played a part in attracting the Nonpareil). But there were some interesting arrivals including my first Autumnal Rustic of the year, a seasonal harbinger as its name implies, and very smartly dressed in what looks like a military uniform.



Here's a Frosted Orange too, always a pleasure to see, a Willow Beauty on the trap cowl - quite a small one and I think second generation, and a Whitepoint.




Away from moths, the natural world also dished up this scary-looking wasp found by Penny (the Ace Indoor Insect Spotter) on our sitting room carpet, a dragonfly which I hope to ID later and what I think are snail or slug eggs:





No comments: