Thursday 15 July 2021

Peachy

A very long-standing favourite flew in last night, or rather two of them did. The Peach Blossom's lovely pattern and colouring first blew me away as a schoolboy aged nine or ten and I've always been delighted when it has paid me a visit since. It's common but doesn't come every year, so two in one night is a feast.


They had decided to sleep on the cone of the trap's bulbholder which is made of black plastic and sends the camera haywire. I enticed them off with the leaf in the photos but they were very quickly getting jumpy - some of the blurring is less due to my incompetence than the way that they were exercising their wings. Both had flown off within a couple of minutes, thankfully un-noticed by birds.


There were a lot of other moths in the eggboxes, including Privet, Poplar and Elephant Hawks among the bigger ones, as well as a burly Drinker, But none were new for the year apart from this sadly drab one above which I'm pretty sure is a rather battered Brown Rustic. I took a pic of the Brown-line Bright-eye below because its eye does indeed brighten things up.



The Plume family of micro moths is being good to me this year. Last week I hosted my first-ever Crescent Plume and now I've just been playing hide-and-seek in the veg patch with this very attractive Yarrow Plume, officially known as Gillmeria pallidactyla.  With the Common Plume and the lovely White Plume which I often disturb by day, that makes four.



2 comments:

Conehead54 said...

Lovely. By co-incidence I found my ever Yarrow Plume in our local park last week.

Martin Wainwright said...

Hooray! So nice to have a change from the Common Plume. The Crescent onecwhich visited me a fortnight ago was even better - looked like a little robot with spanner arms. All vb as ever M