Thursday 16 April 2020

Wiggly Woggly


Last night was a little warmer but still with a frost as you can see from my gardening gloves below. As always, I left them out by mistake. The fabulously sunny day weather has long since returned their suppleness and Penny and I are hard at work again, digging for victory.

No moths of any great interest, therefore, but at lunchtime P spotted this tiny 'looper' caterpillar,  shown in my first picture, making its way across my hand. There's one to tax the iRecord experts!

I will just make one moth observation. There were two Muslin moths in the eggboxes this morning and both had their antennae out, although they were otherwise inert. Nearly all moths in my experience fold the antennae away when sleeping. I wonder if the Muslin is an exception, constantly on the qui vive.  According to the Moth Bible, the female behaves rather unusually, not coming to light but active during the day and sometimes to be found crawling about on undergrowth.  An interesting moth!


No comments: