Thursday 2 April 2020

Early birds


Mirabile dictu!  I was rambling on the other day about the failure of my trap light bulb and the various complicated challenges I face with spare screw-thread ones. I am well on the way to solutions but, while exploring cupboards and drawers in the way which I imagine many of us are doing during the lockdown, I found...another bayonet mercury vapour bulb.

Actually I found two but one had an obvious crack in the protective coating and was clearly a previous failure which I haven't yet disposed of. I assumed that the second would be as well but I gave it a try and Lo! It works.

So I am back in action and last night's slightly warmer weather brought a modest but varied group of guests to the eggboxes (into which my visitors crawl and tuck themselves away).  The top picture shows two of one of my favourite Spring species, the Early Grey, which always reminds me of the famous brand of tea. Then below, we have a Twin-spotted Quaker, a new species for the year though always a regular here.


The other three species have all paid previous calls this season; in order, two Small Quakers, four Hebrew Characters and a pair of Common Quakers.  None of these moths will excite the passing, non-moth-minded visitor, I am afraid - the colour swatch at this time of year is traditional moth-brown/beige/grey - but things are beginning to warm up.




No comments: