Friday 17 April 2020

Imperial Nursery - Year Six?


I thought that my days as a nanny to Emperor Moth caterpillars were over, after the spectacular run which followed the arrival of a magnificent female Emperor moth in the light trap on 7 May 2014, a year after we moved here. She is the one who heads the composite picture at the top of the blog, clinging to my then camera strap.

 But no.  I was putting the mattock away in our shed yesterday when I heard and then saw a tremendous fluttering of something considerably more weighty than a butterfly.

Penny and I were just off out to deliver emergency rhubarb to a neighbour but this mercy mission had to be postponed. I realised to my surprise and delight that the intruder was a male Emperor. After a brief chase, much cupping of hands and sliding into Tupperware boxes and the like, he sat still long enough for the photographs above.

If I had a real Imperial Nursery, they might make rather a good logo, suggesting an atmosphere of care and protection for my little charges.  But even with the time afforded by the lockdown, I am not sure that I want to have the responsibility for a big box of hawthorn gobblers again, so I carefully put the moth on some honeysuckle where he permitted me this third picture


There's a bit of an air of clinging-on for dear life about that one, and the poor insect probably was feeling rather shaken. I meanwhile returned to the abandoned rhubarb, pondering why a male Emperor moth should have come to our shed. Discussing it with P,  I hazarded that thanks to the building's extensive use as an Imperial Nursery in the last six years - see for example blog entries here and again here and yet again (with further links) here - there might still be female pheremones hanging about.  Emperor moth females famously emit these during their short lives and males  equally famously pick them up expertly, sometimes from more than a mile away.  Here's a couple of pictures from a post I did in April 2017 when we experimented with this so-called 'assembling' - monitoring a drowsy female on a sunny afternoon. Three males arrived out of nowhere and there were high jinks.



Recollecting this episode made me wonder about another option: my last season of breeding left me with quite a large box of cocoons. I distributed these to various people but I had a feeling that there had been some left. The moths can sometimes go without hatching for four years, even though they generally live for only a couple of weeks, partly because they cannot eat. What a life! (Though handy for us humans, if we didn't have to find food in the current lockdown).

Anyway, I went back to the shed to see if I could find any boxes with bits of old plant debris and - Lo and behold! On top of our stack of garden games, there was a big clear plastic one, and perching on it was this splendid Empress.



Although I am dubious about breeding Emperors and Empresses again, I cannot resist another go at 'assembling' later today, although this moth may have already mated with her brother. In that case, I gather, her allure may be reduced, but we shall see.  Meanwhile, they have each left me with neatly-holed cocoons from which they emerged yesterday.


A footnote to this is that iRecord, which I admire so much and which is giving me great pleasure, has a problem with moths due to database interfaces. I submitted the Emperors yesterday but got an automatic reply that they were 10km outside the moth's known area...






5 comments:

Edward Evans said...

Irecord does that to me but I'm in one of the most untouched squares though. I have seen on your WHAT MOTH IS THAT My Records page that the two images of the Dunbar are incorrect, the first picture being a Sallow and the second being an Angle Striped Sallow. Stay ssfe, Edward

Martin Wainwright said...

Thanks so much Edward! I will put that right. I tend to err on the side of caution after many early blunders - this sis one which got through the net. Please send more, if you find them.

I gather from the experts on the Upper Thames Moths blog that there has been a bit of a delay with feeding moth records into the database used by iRecord (plus there are snails such as myself who have been very slow to put our houses in order). But it's catching up, they say.

All warm wishes and thanks again

Martin

Conehead54 said...

Great report & photos, Martin. I had hoped to be on the Surrey heaths close to London to look for these, but with the lockdown not possible. I'm missing my local mothing sessions, so great to see what everybody has been catching/rearing. Hope you & your family stay safe!

Edward Evans said...

I decided to go through the whole lot checking each over a few times. There are quite a few that are unconformable but all apart from one looked correct to me. The Early Tooth Striped looks more like a Seraphim but your friends on the Upper Thames Moth Blog could check it over.
All the best,
Edward

Edward Evans said...

It should say unconfirmable. Sigh.....