Tuesday 10 November 2020

Cuddly latecomer



One of the last moths in the usual calendar has called for two nights running in spite of misty moisty weather. The December Moth is a fitting companion for the Sprawler as it has the same excellent taste in furry collars and handsome wing patterning.

it is one of the Eggar moths who come early on in the Moth Bible because of their relatively primitive structure which includes the inability to feed. They tend to huddle close but one of my arrivals had dislocated its hindwing, which operates on an interesting coupling which is one of the indicators when seeking the difference between butterflies and moths. These can be relocated but I am too clumsy and was worried that I might do further damage. Let's hope the problem sorted itself out.

It did give me, and now you, a glimpse of the usually-hidden wing which follows the dark and cream pattern of the moth overall. The combination reminds me of the classy old Pullman trains which used to operate in the UK and can now be examined in various museums.


I am shining the light occasionally still, because other enthusiasts round here, especially in Buckinghamshire, are reporting very interesting visitors to their traps. I doubt that I will be so luckly this far further North, but the December moths' companions, though few, have been attractive: Green-brindled Crescent, Sprawler and that gutsy all-the-year-rounder, the Silver Y.

No comments: