Friday 1 May 2020

Time flies


I'm honestly not sure whether my current interest in tiny flies and the like is genuine or a substitute for moths at a time when the wet and relative chill have greatly reduced the numbers of the latter. I suspect that it's a bit of both.

Anyway, the little speck on my eggbox in the top picture was one of the two flies shown below, whose wing structures are actually interesting and attractive when seen up relatively close.  I am hoping that in due course the expert dipterists on iRecord will tell me what these things are and I will then pass the information on. I have browsed the world of flies in a desultory way but got tired just from reading about the sheer number and variety of them.




The only moth in the trap was dead; the Red Twin-spot Carpet shown below, which was wedged in one of the egg box cones. There seemed to be a bit of spider's web holding it there too, which suggest that my MV light may sometimes contain another and more deadly trap.



No comments: