Saturday 2 May 2020

Pugsville


Some moths! In spite of another pretty chilly night, the eggboxes had a good range of visitors slumbering this morning, most of them at the Lilliput end of the spectrum. I am not very good at putting indicators of scale in my photos, relying lazily on the assumption that anyone reading this will be familiar with the standard UK eggbox.  But as I snapped the little pug moth, above, I fumbled in my dressing gown pockets and found the perfect thing; a brightly-coloured paperclip. So now you know how big, or rather small, a British pug moth is.

Of course, this size poses extra problems for the incompetent identifier, such as myself, and I am on very shaky ground in naming my tiny company this morning. This is in spite of the fact that I am the proud owner of a book devoted exclusively to pug moths, given to me by the Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society after I subject them to a talk. Anyway, here are my other puggish guests:




I think that the first two are Mottled Pugs but the other pair are too indistinctly marked for me to make any meaningful guess. As ever, I will seek the boundlessly generous help of the experts on the Upper Thames Moths blog and report back. 

Update: that's been done and dusted with the UTB's usual speed and efficiency.  Martin Townsend - he of the marvellous Moth Bible - lists them, from the top, as Brindled, Oak-tree (the trap was near an oak tree appropriately), a second Brindled and Common.  The last was a feat of ID skill and Martin's fellow expert Dave Wilton, the UTM blogmeister and a highly skilled moth observer, comments admiringly:

Looking more closely now at the bottom one I can see how Martin arrived at Common Pug because of the warm brown colour and there's a hint of a whitish outer cross-line ending in a tornal spot. 

Many thanks to both, as always - and well-tried Edward in Comments too.

I am on safer ground so far as the larger moth arrivals go, and it is a pleasure to welcome the year's first Green Carpet and White Ermine, along with my second Poplar Hawk:




There was another debut, of the Flame Shoulder, a moth with the rare distinction of being the subject of light-hearted comment in the largely sober and serious (and extremely good) Moth Bible.  The wuthors write: "Comes to light and flies wildly, has an unfortunate habit of occasionally entering the ear of a moth recorder. On more than one occasion, this has necessitated a trip to hospital to remove the moth." I wonder what reception I'd get in current circumstances, if I had to go to hospital and ask for a moth extraction.  

On which score, I hope that all readers, their family and friends, are safe and well and that we are through the pandemic crisis before too long.

2 comments:

Edward Evans said...

The second picture on this post looks to me like Double-Striped Pug. I'm scared of the other ones!They are so tricky.

Martin Wainwright said...

Thanks for having a go, Edward. I would have gone with your suggestion but as you'll see from the update, we're both wrong. We're so lucky to have such generous expertise in the moth world, though the data bank mismatch seems to be holding up confirmation of moth records on iRecord. Sti;;, there's no rush. Hope all is well with you and yours, all v best M