Sunday 17 May 2020

Something new


A small but interesting group of visitors has arrived on the eve of my birthday, when I always hope for some act of recognition by the moth world. Surprisingly often, I have had one in the past. Sure enough, today's guests in the trap include a species new to my records which is an increasingly unusual event after all these years of running the mercury vapour light.

I haven't given it pride of place among the photographs simply because I cannot resist the Burnished Brass, one of the best of the UK moths with metallic scales whose lovely glitter would undoubtedly appeal to my granddaughter. As it does to me, along with the science; the extraordinary way that reflection and refraction produces this gleaming effect.

This is the form tutti in which the brown band across the moth's wings is broken by the greenish-gold. I am just debating whether to keep the moth for expert examination as if the breach is more than 3mm wide, it may be a different species, the Cryptic Burnished Brass, which has only recently been recognised by European entomologists and is not yet accepted on to the official UK list. Alternatively, I may go back outside with my ruler and see if I can measure the band, although I am clumsy in this regard. From the photo, it doesn't look more than 3mm.

There are two other Burnished Brasses, the Slender and the Scarce, which I have yet to see. Perhaps they will be a birthday treat in a future year.



Meanwhile, here is the newcomer, a moth which has the humble status of 'Common' but makes its debut here this morning. It is the Mullein, rather boringly named after its caterpillar's main foodplant in spite of its strikingly streamline appearance. There is an echo in the name though, so far as its hairstyle is concerned. From the side, its little head appears to be topped by a fine mullet.



It is quite a big moth, which distinguishes it from its very rare relative, the more excitingly-named Striped Lychnis. I keep forgetting to take out a scale or ruler, so here are my specs for the second day running.


There were two examples in the eggboxes of variation within the same species, which plays havoc with my already inept attempts at identification. Luckily these two species are pretty hard to get wrong, but you can see that things are not simple in the world of mothy colourways and patterns. The first pair are Treble Lines, the second Heart and Darts.



Finally, a large and little combo: an Eyed Hawk giving a subtle hint of its glorious underwings - its grip on two different eggboxes was so strong that they held together; and what I am pretty sure is a Common Pug.



No comments: