Sunday 3 May 2020

Hairy beast


After yesterday's ID challenge with the pug moths, here's an even harder one. Actually, it's so hard that I'll give you the answer right away: it's a Hair Bug, made by my grandchildren from the clippings of their Dad's home-done haircut - very brilliantly carried out by their Mum.

We all had to guess what it was on WhatsApp, and I went to iRecord to look up Hairy insects, finding  a rich range including the Hairy Canary fly, Hairy Cellar and Hairy Click Beetles, a Hairy Bell fungus and all manner of Hairy plants.


All the names were outdone though by my latest curious invertebrate which crawled out of a rhubarb leaf where it had been communing with a snail. It's a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug. Luckily its encounter with me didn't prompt it to acticate the glands which give it its resounding name. Update (very belated, sorry): Nope, it's a Dock Bug - many thanks to Conehead in Comments, plus see my note there about reading iRecord's expert confirmations carefully.



Nearby was this odd little spider which zipped on to a drawing I'm doing of Fives players and the performed a series of tiny jumps. I've looked it up without success, so sent it to iRecord just as a spider, and await developments.




There was unexpected rain overnight and the trap was fairly quiet this morning. Muslin Moths still have a clear majority among guests but a smart second Poplar Hawk arrived and the two of them obligingly flashed their hindwing warning marks whose russet relieves the species' predominantly dark colouring.


4 comments:

Edward Evans said...

No rain here but still cold. One Lesser Swallow Prominent last night nothing else. The summer ish species eg hawk moths need a couple of weeks for here. I suppose it's because we're further north. Stay safe, Edward.

Conehead54 said...

The bug is a Dock Bug, Coreus marginatus. Brown Marmorated Stinkbug isn't native to the UK though I think there may be the odd record. Some good photos.

Edward Evans said...

How wrong was I?! I got a nice and on time Small Elephant Hawk Moth (as the book says May-Jul) yesterday morning And a better night came with it, Thu and Fri look good for moth Trapping.
Stay safe, Edward.

Martin Wainwright said...

Hi both and apols for the delay. Great news about the Small Elephant, Edward. Beautiful moth!

That's so helpful about the Dock Bug, Conehead. I thought I'd got it right because my data was approved on iRecord but you ormompted mevto look more closely and the expert had approved it, but as a Dock Bug. She also warned me tgat they are very find of rhubarb. Luckily we have lots. I will update the post when gardening permits. All warmest, both. M