Friday 13 August 2021

Another fine Pine


To my surprise, I opened the trap yesterday morning to find this Pine Hawk moth in pristine condition inside. You can see the impressive size of it in comparison with the smaller moth alongside, from memory a Silver Y. What interested me is that this is the third Pine Hawk in what looks like a very-recently emerged state of repair to come to my light over a prolonged period.  


Here are the three of them, almost exactly at monthly intervals; unusual, it seems to me, for a species which normally has only one generation, albeit one which flies from May all the way through to September. I have had battered examples early and late before and I am sure that big, powerful hawk moths can live a long time. But I will ask about the freshness on the Upper Thames Moths blog.


Meanwhile, another two Latticed Heaths arrived and, although this one chose to perch on the photo-unfriendly black trap bowl like the one in my last post, it gave me - and you -  a clearer view of its topwings, so similar to a fritillary butterfly's. By contrast, the beautiful patterning of the Marbled Beauties below is absolutely characteristic of moths; much more complicated and subtly subdued in colour than the simpler and brighter patterning of most UK butterflies.


I'm note sure what the chap below is but will endeavour to find out. From its shape, it may be a Tree-lichen Beauty like the two shown in the following photo. Although a newcomer for me this year, there are masses of these about at the moment and their green-ness is very variable. A wonderful example of a successful immigrant which was once very seldom seen.



I am also vague about my final pic - a bush cricket of some kind, I fancy. Update: Indeed.  Conehead obligingly IDs it in Comments as a male Southern Oak Bush Cricket, a remarkably successful immigrant and colonist, especially considering that it is one of the few crickets which cannot fly.




 

2 comments:

Conehead54 said...

I'm envious of your Pine Hawkmoth, Martin- a while since I've seen one. Amazing how prolific Tree Lichen Beauties have become in recent years.

The bush-cricket is a male Southern Oak Bush-cricket- a relatively recent colonist. It's amazing for a species that can't fly how efficiently it disperses itself-it seems to regularly hitch-hike on vehicles, which may be the way it first entered the country via the Channel.

Martin Wainwright said...

Belated thanks - I will pass it on to iRecord too. All warmest, M