Friday 3 June 2011

Glittering prize

I'm still in bed at the moment, having my tea and relishing the prospect of a lovely day. 'Uninterrupted sunshine,' says the BBC. Oh goody. I shall go and inspect the trap shortly, but for now here is the rest of my backlog, and a close-up of the wonderful, sudden patterning of a Beautiful Golden Y. The production of wing scales like this is a natural wonder; the reason for them, unknown.


Maybe it should be called the Golden Questionmark, like some sort of TV prize show, because the Y is nearly always broken in this fashion. It's a characterful-looking moth in every respect with its tufted back resembling the succession of little summits along Striding Edge. The ground colour is also a lovely mixture of different browns. It's common too in spite of its fine appearance, and we get frequent visits from its near namesake the Plain Golden Y, which is less of a Cinderella than it sounds (see posts passim, including this strangely-captioned one...)

2 comments:

worm said...

a beautiful moth Martin! I went for a walk with my wife last night and drove her potty by stopping to scrutinize every single lime tree we walked past for signs of an emerging lime hawk moth...

MartinWainwright said...

Keep searching!

I must read up Prof E B Ford on scale colouring

I know the great Why-No-Blue-In-Moths question isn't answered in his book but I think he's quite good on the gold and silver side of things

all warm (literally at the mo thank goodness) wishes

Mdomiasta