Friday 12 July 2024

Film Star

 

We are lucky in Oxfordshire to have a large and lively population of Scarlet Tiger moths, the ultimate UK proof that the tribe are not all small, brown and boring. Vividly coloured and happy to fly by day, the species is even a major contributor to tourism, not here but on the Greek island of Rhodes where the Valley of the Butterflies is actually the Vally of Scarlet Tiger Moths.

I usually get my first inquiries of the year about them in the shape of their caterpillars which hungrily munch comfrey and agrimony in neighbours' gardens, leaving skeletal leaves as shameless proof of their appetite. The adult moths are striking when at rest, as above, with white or cream spots daubed on a gleaming backdrop of oily blackish green. When they take wing, their scarlet underwings are glorious. 

This very short film clip gives the idea, I hope, complete with my 'Oooh!' and below are stills extracted from it. The moth is interesting too in having mouthparts sufficiently developed for it to take nectar in large quantities from flowers. Perhaps this accounts for the species' long Summer season, along with the effectiveness of its warning colouration as a deterrent to birds.

I have sometimes dismissed the next moth as just yet another Large Yellow Underwing which shows how resistant to learning I am after all my years running a light trap. In fact it is the beautifully marked and highly distinctive Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing. I wish that I could show you the said underwings, but the moths are so shy of showing them except in brief flashes during flight, that I would have to kill one first, and those days are long gone.



Next comes an everyday but beautifully-marked Common Wainscot, an example of Nature's delicate painting with only the most modest palette. And after that a quartet of recent arrivals: a Common Rustic, Common Plume, Elephant Hawk moth and a micro whose ID I hope to sort out over morning tea.




Some butterflies to finish with: a Comma, showing the reason for its name. It startled me by flying past and settling with its glowing russet topwings fully spread but snapped them shut as I crept up to it. The camouflage of a ragged leaf is most effective. Then a couple of Small Skippers which have just replaced the wave of their Large brethren in the big field near our house which has very generous 'wild' edges. 




And a frog, surprised on our patio from which he or she leapt rapidly in an impressive series of hops.

No comments: