Tuesday 9 June 2020

Zooming off



The biggest of my regular hawks was back again last night, this magnificent Privet Hawk which was so sleepily co-operative that you can examine it from above and below. We've had the Convolvulus in the next village, and also at a cousin's wedding in Cornwall; and, unforgettably, a couple of Death's Head Hawks three miles away on a friend's potato patch. They're both bigger than the Privet, pushing it into third place in the UK moths' size stakes, but I would be delightedly surprised if  they ever came to call.
The Privet is good value anyway; a moth big and intimidating enough to frighten away most birds.  Even to the human eye, it has an alarming resemblance to Darth Vader - see left - or something vaguely diabolical - see right. And this one gave me an extra treat when I went back to check the trap in the late morning. I had up-ended it in long grass and scrub in such a way that no bird could get in; but as the sun came out unexpectedly, I thought that I had better check in case the moths inside were getting overheated. They were fine, but I disturbed the Privet which was by now feeling lively and ready to scram. After a very brief warm-up, it zoomed away across the lawn, zig-zagged sideways and almost landed on my wife's thigh, and then powered up into the sky.


I didn't have my camera handy; but, later in the afternoon, I went back again to the trap and this time found the Elephant Hawk which had been in there along with an Eyed Hawk - above with a Light Emerald - also getting ready to depart.  This time I was better prepared. Here are two short film clips: one of the moth warming up and the second showing it whizzing off, after its launch was helped by a magic blow from me.





Elsewhere in the trap, there was a nice selection of smaller visitors: a Scorched Carpet, a well-patterned Heart and Club,  a Marbled Minor spp, a Snout, a Poplar Grey, the micro Celypha striana, a pretty little Clouded Border, one of those brown moths which frustrate me in ID terms and finally a neat pair of Straw Dots. Not a bad line-up. Thank you moths.










2 comments:

Edward Evans said...

The brown thing moth is an Ingrailed Caly. Plenty about at the moment!

Edward

Martin Wainwright said...

Thanks so much Edward. I'm sorry these moths make me glaze over. Even the words 'Ingrailed Clay' fill me with gloom. I keep trying - and went back to the Moth Bible for a look after reading your comment, but I'll never get the hang of it. So, thanks again

all warm wishes, Martin