Monday 19 August 2019

Mixed company


The distinctive shape of Thorn moths is a feature of the trap at the moment; they perch with their wings angled up behind them in the style we were told to use when preparing to dive in swimming races at school. I was greeted immediately by these three when I lifted the lid yesterday morning - one Dusky to the bottom left and two Canary-shouldered, one of them startled by appearance into jumping on to the lightbulb which luckily had cooled down. Here they are closer up, Dusky, left, followed by its lovely, bright yellow-chested cousin below.



Also on the cowl was this little Yellow Shell, a moth which pays only occasional visits:




Equally pretty and in the same midget league, was one of the few pugs at whose identity I am prepared to hazard a guess.  I am pretty sure that it is a Double-striped, though I am standing by to be corrected.


Next we have a rather flightworn Copper Underwing whose condition has the advantage of allowing us a glimpse of the finely-coloured underwing which gives the species its name. These are extremely active moths when disturbed in the eggboxes, though they seldom fly away. They simply rush around trying to find a nook or cranny to escape from either daylight or my prying eyes.



I was talking about butterflies trespassing into the trap the other day. Yesterday morning I found a different intruder: this fine grasshopper. Update: many thanks to my Commentor - see below. This is a female Oak-bush Cricket. Like the moths, he or she was rendered dozy by the light and willingly agreed to be photographed. Normally this is a frustrating business when you try to follow one as it high-jumps around.



Finally from the trap, I can never resist including photos of Brimstone moths because their colour - appropriate in this post because of the Canary-shouldered Thorns - lifts the spirits. There was one in the trap, shown right, and one on rough grass nearby where it was instantly clear to my eyes though not, apparently, to the birds'.

Oh, and that wasn't actually finally. I'd forgotten that I also took this relatively close-up of a Burnished Brass's metallic wings, another must for inclusion whenever possible, ideally with my pyjamas for colour contrast.


Away from the trap, I am equally unable to resist butterfly walks in the current weather and I hope to get down to one of the local sites for the Adonis Blue, a ravishing-looking insect which I have never seen. Meanwhile, here are some more everyday but lovely neighbours, starting with a small, day-flying moth which I have yet to ID and then a Painted Lady - loads about this year - then three 'Smalls' - Small Heath, Small Copper and Small Tortoiseshell - and ending up with a glittery dragonfly. Update: again thanks to Conehead in Comments, this is a Common Darter.










3 comments:

Conehead54 said...

Some nice moths again Martin. The grasshopper is a female Oak Bush-cricket. Bush-crickets have long antennae + grasshoppers have short antennae. Also female grasshoppers don't have the long ovipositors of bush-crickets. Oak Bush-crickets are attracted to lights so do turn up in moth traps. Grasshoppers + bush-crickets do belong to the same group called Orthoptera.

The sunlit dragonfly is a Common Darter.

Martin Wainwright said...

Many thanks again - I very much appreciate your expertise and the time you give to my amateur findings. Any ideas about the day-flying moth? Sorry it's such a poor photo. It looked bigger than one of the ever-present Grass Veneers All warm wishes, M

Conehead54 said...

Sorry I'll have to pass on the flying moth!