Monday 28 August 2017

Dainties


Please forgive a self-indulgent morning but the warm weather - Summer returns, hurray! - has brought out a flock of daintily beautiful moths including one new for my garden this year, the delicately patterned Engrailed, above. The word means 'having semi-circular, indentations along the edge' which is indeed the case, as you can see above.

The Maiden's Blush has appeared here many times before, but it is such a lovely moth that I never fail to show it. I have regularly referred to these pretty and pastel types of species as 'Laura Ashley moths' because they remind me of their human counterparts back in my youth, similarly drawn out by the warm weather in light-hearted, peasanty frocks. The Maiden's Blush combines both the frock and its wearer. The way the blush suffuses the creamy wings is just a delight.



The Bordered Beauty runs it close, mind, even if the colours are becoming a little stronger and - mournful thought - Autumnal. And then the Common White Wave, below, is perhaps the most Ashleyesque of them all. The famous dress designer did amazing things with simple, white fabrics.



More self-indulgence, below, with some pictures of a Red Underwing, the fourth which has roosted in the trap in two days. The Upper Thames Moths blog currently features several sightings of the still more magnificent Clifden Nonpareil, that superbly-named relative whose underwings are blue-striped rather than red. This has yet to reach my lamp but I live in hope.





2 comments:

AlexW said...

I can easily imagine one of these being displayed at an educational event. Drool!

Did you see my caterpillar advice below?

Martin Wainwright said...

They are lovely, aren't they?

Yes, thanks for the excellent tips. I'm hoping my survivor survives

All v best

M