Monday 29 September 2014

Small is definitely beautiful


A new moth for my list this morning and a very pretty one. I originally thought that this was a small Large Wainscot, tautological I know but I hope you see what I mean. But then Marc Botham of the Institute of Terrestrial Ecology put me right on the excellent Upper Thames Moths blog where I also posted the picture in the hope of confirmation or correction of my guess.


The moth is actually a Small Wainscot, officially rated as 'common' but sparse in records this year in our part of the world. It's a lovely little creature with beautifully subtle colouring - though as you can see from the three different studies of the same insect, the camera plays tricks with light, shade and tone.


So now September is at an end and it's time I did an audit of Moths So Far. Watch this space tomorrow...

No comments: