Wednesday 28 March 2012

Quaker meeting

George Fox instructed his fellow Quakers to 'walk cheerfully over the world, looking for that of God in others', an appealing policy which I try to follow with the moth trap. You learn something new and encouraging from it every day, and today I have learned more about - appropriately - Common Quakers.


When I first saw this one nestled in its eggbox, I thought: 'Ah, something different at last,' because for several weeks now, the catch has been dominated by Common, Small and Twin-spot Quakers. But after studying Waring, Townsend and Lewington plus images online for ages, I realise that it is... just another Common Quaker.


Some have that striking line across their wings, like a Mongolian bow; others, such as the one in my second picture have it faintly, and a third group - shown in previous posts this month - don't show it at all. So here is another example of the great variety found in mothwing colours and patterns, to the extent that 'new' species are sometimes 'discovered' in old collections of the insects when an investigator more patient and diligent than me takes a close look.

The second moth, incidentally, complicates matters further by having suffered some sort an encounter - with a bush, bat, bird or other moth - which has rubbed scales off a patch in the middle of its wings.

Also visiting last night and shown below: an ichneumon wasp which reminds me of Pete & Dud's 'spindlier than Mabel Grindley, more spotty than Spotty Muldoon'; a March moth, the same species which started this year's blog; and another pug for me to sort out over my morning tea.



Update: check out Martin's Harvey's helpful comment which reveals that my 'March moth' is actually the micro Diurnea fagella which I should have known because I wrote about a previous one just a few days ago. Mind you its colouring was clearer. Marin also suggests Brindled Pug for the little beast and I think that's right. Many thanks.

2 comments:

Martin Harvey said...

Hi Martin, I think your penultimate photo is the micro Diurnea fagella, rather than March Moth. I'm hesitant with the pug since it is at an angle and easy to misjudge the shape, but I think Brindled Pug is a likely ID for it. My moth trap is all packed away during a house renovation and I'm missing seeing these for real this year!

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks very much Martin and I'm very pleased you liked the Tiny Book. I shall correct the post forthwith and v much appreciate this sort of generous wisdom. I will never learn, I fear.
All warm wishes,
Martin