Thursday 16 September 2010

Treasures of the pool, and of Google


I'm easily distracted. But who wouldn't be, by sights such as this cenote, or jungle sinkhole, from T &A? It's called Ik Kil and allegedly 'contains the secrets of the baths of the Maya kings and their courtesans', according to its website www.cenote-ik-kil.com/ which I've just visited. What shampoo did they use? How did you work the shower? And what on earth would I find if I set my moth trap there?


Humbler things here in Leeds. It was cold last night; even a glimmer of frost. There were about 50 moths slumbering away, though, mostly assorted yellow underwings still, several Dun-bars and a couple of  Silver Ys. I photographed this one because I think it shows why some people dislike moths. It looks very like a spider.

Marathon attempts to check yesterday's insect crop from Mexico continue. The pink dragonfly may be called, disappointingly, the Pink Dragonfly, but I haven't got much beyond identifying the butterfly as the Julia Helicon. Mexican butterflies have fabulous names: Montezuma's Cattleheart, Dainty Sulphur, Rusty Sister, Starry Cracker, Gold-stained Satyr, Many-banded Daggerwing...  Along the way, I also discovered this strange picture called A Mexican Boy Holding a Wallet and Being Surrounded by a Swarm of Moths. It's by Denis Holmes Design and comes from  www.clipartof.com/details/clipart/43439.html There must be a story here. I will probe.

No comments: