Wednesday 22 July 2009

Away from home


Penny's floating down the Danube with her Mum this week, so I popped over to my Mum's last night and gave the trap its first-ever outing away from home. It's only a couple of miles round Leeds ring road, but it will be interesting to see if the catch is different at all. At the mo, I'm waiting for my Mum to come-to and glug her early morning tea, because she is a natural predator and wants to see the results of the hunt.


The moths are dozing peacefully on the patio. So, I've just photographed a couple which are snoozing obligingly on the outside of the transparent collar; small but exquisitely patterned. I think that the one above is a Marbled Beauty with a slightly tattered Light Emerald behind (No, it's a Common White Wave - thanks Benny - and see two posts above for same bungle by me), and the one below an Engrailed. As you can see, it rained a bit in the night but the trap was protected under a huge umbrella of the rose Mme Cecile Brunner. This may be another ground-breaking post in that there could be a Part II later on, depending on what is lurking among the egg boxes and how much time I have before the Guardian beckons.

3 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

yep to Marbled Beauty, the tatty Moth is a Common White Wave by the looks of it.
Yes the rain is a problem as of late.

JRandSue said...

Keep up the good work Martin.
Insects can be fun too.
Still like all your Moth shots.
John.

MartinWainwright said...

Hi both and another big thanks to Benny for keeping me on the Common White Wave straight and narrow. Sorry about that.

That's v kind of you John. I'm still amazed by the detail an digital camera picks up, when you click on the pics. Nothing to do with my fumbling efforts; it's all in the Canon Ixus's mysterious (and amazingly compact) workings...