Friday 19 June 2009

Ready for take off

It was windy last night but I put the trap out, partly to see if the weather has any effect on moth operations. Overnight it has rained a little, so that must have been a deterrent too, but there were eight Heart and Darts tucked into the egg boxes, plus this quartet.







The yellow one is a Brimstone moth, whose eponymous butterfly counterpart is one of the best arrivals here in Leeds during our time (although I haven't yet seen one this year). Then we've a Marbled Minor, the pretty one with the black and silver colouring, and (I think...) a Common Rustic nosing its way into an egg cone. But what is this other one, with blurred wings - the result of my disturbing it rather than camera shake.(Stop Press: see helpful Comment) It's a classic example of why I have trouble identifying moths. But I'm going back to bed and my morning tea now, to see if I can work it out. Another thing I need to work out is how to get rid of that lonely little 'the' above, a printer's widow, but at the moment I can't.

3 comments:

Friends of Buck Wood said...

Hi Martin, it looks like a Clouded-bordered Brindle to me. It comes in various disguises and this form is interesting.
Norman

MartinWainwright said...

Norman that's brill - I so much appreciate better identifiers like yourself.

How are things on the other side of the valley? It's been quite good here so far this year and apparently next week is going to be warm.

Warm wishes to you both (and to Buck Wood)

M

Play Omaha Poker said...

Speak directly.