Tuesday 22 July 2008

Comer-in from the South


At last! A dry warm night, and consequently a trap full of moths. Five Peppereds, four Buff Arches, a wave of Waves (more on them soon), Footmen, masses of assorted yellow underwings and daggers, and dotted about amongst them, various little micro-moths whose identities I am saving for when I retire. The best, though, was this Scarce Silver Lines, a larger lookalike of the Green Silver Lines which I describe several entries below. This moth is described as 'local' in my trusty guidebook, which means fairly uncommon. But the book, published in 2003, noted that it seemed to have been moving North into Yorkshire gradually since 1980. I first recorded one on 15 July 2004 and again nine days later, but haven't had any in the trap since. I'm glad they've decided to stay.

No comments: