Wednesday 19 August 2009

Mysteries abound



Another nice little Micro this morning, among the usual yellow underwing hordes. You can see how small it is in comparison with the wasp. I've found a good Micro identification website and am going to see if I can sort out what this is (see helpful revelation from Sally of Headingley in Comments), and one or two other mini arrivals that I've featured but not been able to identify in the past. Talking of identification, does anyone have any idea what this thing is - below? I put the trap higher up than usual last night and I'm worried that it might be something from another planet. Actually, I suspect it's more likely to be a dehydrated (and therefore dead) slug. But remember Alien...

8 comments:

Jonathan G said...

It's good to see it's not only my life currently being effected by the horrible slugs from another planet... they seem to get everywhere, I am currently planning to lay beer traps to send them into a alcoholic heaven.. however seeing that moth traps also do the same thing I may have to set one of these up!

If successful I'll send you a pic...

All the best
Johnny

MartinWainwright said...

Excellent - looking forward to it. This may soon become martinsslugs.blogspot.com...
Al;l v best

Martin

Sally LS6 said...

Hi Martin,
Jax confirmed a micro (Ypsolopha Sequella) for me about a week ago, & yours looks v similar. Compare with photos on the Yorks Butterflies' site, sightings for 11th & 13th August.
Sally

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks v much Sally - I'm sure that's the one. Do you know what the weird beast is by any chance? All v best M

Sally LS6 said...

Hi Martin,
Hmmm, no, not seen the like in Headingley!
Sally

Friends of Buck Wood said...

Yes this is Ypsolopha sequella., also known as the black rabbit moth. Not that I've seen one. I got the info from Charlie Fletcher on Yorkshire Moths.
Norman

MartinWainwright said...

Hi belatedly and thanks again. we've nailed it!

Sally LS6 said...

Hi Martin,
Thanks for an enjoyable season of moth blogs! No butterflies around for a week now, still a few queen bumblebees though.
Sally