Tuesday 7 July 2009

Hello pugs


"Here! What about us?" cry the moths, and they are right. I've been distracted by gaudy butterflies and spiky caterpillars for the past couple of days. Moth multitudes are still flying in. There've been a lot of pugs among them lately, the group of small moths which I assume are named after the breed of dog which is notable for its small size.


I say 'assume' because I can't find confirmation either on the net or in a very erudite book on pug moths which I was generously given in exchange for giving a talk to the Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society (on journalism, not moths). Pug enthusiasts take it for granted that we all know. These two are the Foxglove Pug, which doesn't look like a foxglove, pretty though it is. Its caterpillars eat the plant, which we grow out of sentiment for the days when we made gloves out of them and organised special children's parties. Didn't know about digitalis then. And the Green Pug, which is green. Small is beautiful, as Mr Schumacher remarked, although I think that big is as well. Note the ghostly light bulb of the trap btw, left of the Foxglove Pug.

7 comments:

dorry said...

Hi Martin, excuse me for calling you souless on CIG but dogs are my constant companions 24 hours a day so being against the concept of pets is shocking to me. Here is my current Lab, she is a bit scrawny in this older picture because of parvo - a horrible illness; all seven of her literates died and she still is a bit brain damaged - but a wonderful dog. (the cure is very painful!) http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/3686454080_7c64ab1071_b.jpg

As I said on my site on GUT I was explaining to her the reciprocity expected between a human and thier dog - and looking at her eyes you see she was working to take it all in.

I have a large background with wild creatures and try to be sounded by them, and my pets.

My side porch http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3355/3273607145_9dc5edf046_b.jpg

My back porch http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3651/3507325474_315d9e00b5_b.jpg

dorry said...

well it seems to chop off my link addresses, I will try again http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/3686454080_7c64ab1071_b.jpg

(the other pictures are me with a humming bird perched on my finger and my gator and egret in the bayou.)

dorry said...

How annoying! http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/3686454080_

7c64ab1071_b.jpg does that work?

dorry said...

Well I will leave you to your moths, this is too annoying for words - and I have spent time amongst moths.

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Dorry! Thanks very much - I'll check out those links soon. Just got up early to do some work, but looking forward to seeing the pics. All v best Martin

MartinWainwright said...

Hi again Dorry!

Yo! I have got the one of your excellent Lab (and your toes in the sandals) I'd love to see the humming bird and gator if you could do the same system of putting the address on two lines. Or maybe I could search Flickr - I haven't mastered Flickr yet. I wish we had humming birds and gators in the UK. I remember going to draw money on a family holiday at a bank in South Carolina which had ornamental ponds round its office - plus huge gators! Warm wishes M

Pugs Gloves said...

There've been a lot of pugs among them lately, the group of small ... pugsgloves.blogspot.com