Saturday 22 March 2014

Toe, knee...


Quiet times here and uncertain weather, but also a little puzzle for any of my invaluable experts who may be reading (Dave, I've devised the headline specially for you...)


What is this?   I am hoping that it may be a Dark Chestnut because that would be new to my garden moth assembly. But perhaps it's just an ordinary Chestnut. Or, still more galling, a Common Quaker. Update: see Comments, for which many thanks, and Ben's nailing it as a Red Chestnut, a different family (Cerastis) from the other Chestnuts (Conistra) even though the latter have a - very rare - Red-headed Chestnut. Simple eh...

Have a nice weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The wing shape looks chestnutty to me, but others will tell you the exact variety! I'm doing a presentation on moths for college in a fortnight, should be fun :-)

Bennyboymothman said...

Hi Martin.
This is a Red Chestnut, so you were right with the Chestnutty theme! They are peaking about now, still yet to add it to my garden list.

Martin Wainwright said...

Thanks v much both - hope the moth show goes well CT. Good luck with Red Chestnuts in your direction, Ben. I'm gad to have recorded this species cos it's new for me, though common enough overall, I appreciate. All warm wishes and thanks again

M