Monday 10 March 2014

Boo! (Three times)


A lesson in looking this morning - and in not getting too distracted by an interesting moth. The latter was the Pale Pinion above, a distinctive and slightly unusual species classified as 'local', which is a step up socially on the all but universal 'common'.


I was so beguiled by it, and by my new practice of trying to make a correct and full audit of the eggbox inhabitants, that I nearly missed another 'first' for my tally in 2014. I was just putting things away when a curious isoceles shape on the simple but effective rainshield - above - caught my eye.


It was a March moth, arriving in reasonably timely fashion though others such as Countryside Tales, one of my mothing pals, have had theirs arrive a little more punctually. I then carried on stashing the trap and saw...March moth number 2, above, on the rim of the bulbholder.  Thoroughly awake by now, I gave things a final check and spotted this, below:


It was part of March moth number three. Here it is in its full though upside-down glory in my final picture:



Also in the eggboxes: 33 Common Quakers, 8 Hebrew Characters, 5 Clouded Drabs and 2 Small Quakers.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your recent hauls. I've yet to have a Pale Pinion or a dotted border,but I have had several Oak Beauties (gorgeous), two Diurnea fagella and a Red Chestnut, which is unusual for round here. Otherwise we're level-pegging! CT :-)

Martin Wainwright said...

Aren't Oak Beauties lovely! Nice and big too, amid all the humdrum Quakers, Drabs et al

all warm wishes

M