Sunday 16 August 2015

Sunshine


Yesterday I mentioned the excellent Mikron Theatre's forthcoming production about the Canary Girls, women munition workers whose skin was turned yellow by the unpleasant chemicals they handled. This morning, I found the Canary-shouldered Thorn in the trap again and got a rather more yellow shot than the one I used last week. A very pleasant yellow, unlike that suffered by the women workers.


A dose of sunshine, indeed. And from yellow to Copper, although it is very hard to goad the Copper Underwing (or possibly Svensson's Copper Underwing - the differences are too hard for an amateur such as myself to detect) to show the bright underwings which give the species its name. I rely on thos two little eyes on the wings for my ID of this excellent and very vigorous moth, which zooms around the eggboxes if at all disturbed. This is my first of 2015.


The pretty little micro Anania coronata paid a call as well, along with this very worn macro below - at least I think it's a macro - whose ID is made harder by my inept camerawork. I've not yet learned how the Lumix handles abrupt contrasts between light and shade.  But I will persevere, as ever.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin.

I think there is a chance your suspected macro could be one from the same part of the micros as A.coronata, it could be Udea lutealis.

Trent Duval said...

Drop the exposure a couple of notches towards -1 and turn off the LCD mode if it is on. The camera will still work in auto mode and should reduce the glare. Or shade the moth with your hand whilst snapping with the other.Try it standing up in a hammock :)
I'm 95% sure your moth is as Anonymous says.
Cheers

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks so much both Trent, the technical camera tips are ace. Please keep them coming. Penny and I will eventually work out a way of playing the CD of instructions...

Much obliged as usual!

Martin