Sunday 28 October 2012

From a remote planet

This is coming to you on a very fragile but gutsy internet connection which has slowly but faithfully downloaded the pictures and signed up to Blogspot/Blogger. But I'd better crack on in case it falls through. You no doubt know the feeling.


Just to show some nice photos of this Red Line Quaker (Update: Nope, it's a Red-line - thanks to Ben in Comments), which initially crouched asleep on an eggbox, then tumbled out and lay upside down and comatose, allowing a view of its underwings.

                           

Then revived and began exploring a cushion.  And I've added a pic of one of the only other two moths in the trap which I'll identify later; I forgot to bring my Moths Bible and I daren't open another tab. Update: I think it's a Brick (Further update: and Ben doesn't disagree).





The scarcity of moths after recent good numbers and varieties is entirely due to the weather, I am sure. It has gone very chilly - albeit lovely and clear with fabulous tree colours - and the moths are mostly staying put in wherever it is they roost - tree bark, leaf piles, deep inside shrubs. Previous posts have talked about the time it takes for them to heat up internally sufficiently to be able to fly. I guess that simply hasn't been happening; or they've all had some genetically embedded message that it isn't worth the effort.



2 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Hi Martin
Long time no comment!
Your sleepy moth is a Yellow-line Quaker.
Still following your blog, but busy with family life. You seem to be doing better than me recently, keep it up.
Ben

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Ben!

Sorry, not been back in the blog for a bit and hadn't seen your helpful comment - will update

Had a great night last night - four December moths et al

All warmest wishes

Martin