Monday 26 September 2011

Brightening up the autumn

Early nip of changeful autumn wrote Betjeman and that's what we've got now. Beautiful sunshine and warm days, lovely leaf colours but cold nights and ragamuffin moths, elderly, worn-out; they've seen better days. Even the new ones are sombre, like these three Dark Prominents (Eh? Have I gone mad. Yes. See Comments. There's no such moth. They're Black Rustics which I've often featured here. Age...), lined up in the manner of secret American weaponry on Area 51.


So let's cheer up with one of the Red Admirals which are still enjoying the sunshine, and the last fronds of our buddleias which I keep clipping to encourage fresh growth. Soon the frost will come and it will all be over and I will pack up the trap and say farewell until the Spring.


But not quite yet.

6 comments:

worm said...

I think everyone who has more than a passing interest in butterflies and moths must also have an attraction to the melancholy. As their colourful wings fade and become ragged, so too does the summer sun.

Toni said...

Lovely Black Rustics :-)

MartinWainwright said...

thanks v much both - hooray that you like Black Rustics and melancholia, both

Black Rustics...why on earth did I call them Dark Prominents? Is there such a moth? I must be going mad. I will correct forthwith...

Thanks ever so

M

Banished To A Pompous Land said...

Soon frost will come.... I guess yes it will. Another season over Martin.

Mind you its still 70f overnight here still and low 80s during the day.

Frost will come but its a way off yet and until it does the mozzies are still here as are plenty of other beast...as soon as it stops raining! It seems like it rained solidly for a week and a half. But finally, yesterday it was dry(ish) and so I can get back out with the camera

Jane said...

the black rustics are very beautiful , its a lovely picture

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks again all. I hadn't really thought so highly of the Black Rustics but on returning to have a look, they are fabulous creatures. The Black and the gold go very well together. I've compared them in the past to Darth Vader, a bit obviously, but they also have that tingly sinister appeal...