Saturday 23 July 2011

Huh!


Some moths get all the good stuff when it comes to their names - the Willow Beauty, for example, or the Scarce Merveille du Jour. No such luck for the Dingy Footman, shown here. I know that he, or she, is not exactly spectacular, but dingy? Come on. In fact, I would say that the soft grey colour was rather tasteful, and the moth has the same neat trim as the other Footmans - men? - which gives the little tribe its name. Time for a rethink, moth authorities. Update: No, no. See Comments. It's more like time for a rebore of the Wainwright identifying mechanism...


The Satin Wave on the other hand has done well with its Christening. Update: Except, see Comments, this isn't one. MW muddles through again...how embarrassing. Deservedly, because as you can see, it is a pretty little moth. I disturbed this one in bright sunshine while putting the finishing touches to my late Mum's garden in readiness for our spectacular fun day in her memory today. Please keep sun-dancing; things so far look promising if a bit 'mixed' in the Met Office's favourite word.


There were good butterflies around yesterday, too: Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, whites, skippers, Holly Blue and this Gatekeeper, seen from afar. I had the camera on as much zoom as my ancient and slightly trembly hands render worthwhile; sorry the focus isn't sharper but you can make out the almost perfect white and slightly-chequered trim to the wings which suggests that this specimen is very newly-hatched indeed. I've cropped out the dead-heading which was still to do. I'm afraid I concentrated on that, rather than chasing the butterflies which were very jittery compared to light trap-doped moths.

4 comments:

Billy Dykes said...

Hi Martin, that footman of yours is actually Buff (not so drably named!) and your Satin Wave is a Common Wave.

Happy mothing!

Bill

MartinWainwright said...

Oh Bill...

Thanks very much. Another double-whammy for my shredded career as a moth identifier.

But this is how knowledge spreads. Thanks Heavens for the internet!

Much appreciated

Warm wishes

M

Tony Morris said...

Don't worry too much. I wish I had a pound for every one I've got wrong over the years!

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks Tony, that's very consoling! I have to admit that I look at the last picture section in Waring, Townsend and Lewington with some despair...

all warm wishes

M