Tuesday 1 September 2009



The weather is too dodgy to trap at the moment, but sunshine during the day brings swarms of butterflies. Much as I'm absorbed by moths, I agree with 99.9 percent of the world that butterflies are lovelier. Check out the Peacock two posts below, or look at these Painted Ladies. The different flying methods, or abilities, of the two butterflies are interesting. The Peacock floats about unless alarmed, whereas the Painted Lady is powerful and purposeful all the time. Both can become completely absorbed by the nectar of buddleia, however, and this Painted Lady posed patiently for my photographs for at least two minutes and was still feeding greedily when I had finished. I will never forget seeing my first Painted Lady, at Harlow Carr gardens in Harrogate when I was eight. They were unusual in Yorkshire in those days but are common now, albeit as immigrants from the Continent which breed here in the summer but do not survive the winter. They often arrive in huge numbers, sometimes spectacularly so, as happened earlier this summer when they made headlines in the media.

3 comments:

sarah meredith said...

OK, now I am just out and out envious! Although I have grown very fond of moths and much more aware of their subtle and lovely markings since you started this blog, Martin, I have always adored butterflies. When I see one like this, however, perched on what is obviously a very lush buddleia, I realize that Delaware County is never going to be able to compete in that department either. I once had a buddleia which - like my pumpkins, I am sad to report - straggled along for a season or two - then gave up the ghost. So there is a reason why I have never seen a Painted Lady, I guess. What we do seem to have had this summer in our part of the world is major animal wildlife - deer, of course, and lots of birds (including some magnificent hawks and herons and wild turkeys and turkey vultures), but also coyotes and opposum (ugly, ugly!) and there was even a bear spotting down on the bike trail that used to be an old railroad. I think I would prefer the Painted Ladies. Ah well, my boy arrived in Bath yesterday and I told him his mission in the Uk is to find himself a cute girl whose family have a fabulous country house or even castle surrounded by wonderful English gardens chock full of moths and butterflies!!

MartinWainwright said...

Sarah Hi! And all Merediths likewise! Great news about the landfall of the son. we'd so much like to see him while he's here. We will try to think of some castles with lovely heiresses. Actually, Pen is reading a fascinating book called Black Diamonds about a Yorkshire family called Fitzwilliam (who owned the vast mansion mentioned several posts down the blog). The second last of the line, who died in a plane crash after the war, was a big pal of the Kennedys and there's a whole lot she's reading at the mo about Kick kennedy and her dalliance with the mighty Devonshire aristos. Anyway, she may have a few tips for young T. I'm sure you have lovely butterflies in Delaware county. England only has about 60 species but luckily some of the loveliest ones are common, like the Peacock and Painted Lady. Aren't digital cameras amazing. Even a twerp like me can take masterly shots... x from us both. Our Tom marries on Friday, yay!

sarah meredith said...

Oh, all the best to your Tom and his bride and to you, the "rents"! What fun! Hope all goes beautifully and hope we see some pics! Love to you all. xxs (and g and l and t)