Wednesday 26 July 2017

Splosh


Moths can fly, but I can float. I don't usually feature myself here after a lifetime of bylines etc; but I thought I'd just show that I am not a man with only one hobby. I am, admittedly, a little wobbly after taking up sculling again following an interval of half a century - yes, awful to say but true. But all's going well in spite of the amount of advice to take on board (legs first, elbows in, shoulders relaxed...) and I haven't yet fallen in.


Meanwhile, the trap continues to tick over. Nothing too spectacular but the Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet, above, is daintily patterned and coloured. This is a moth which, although still rated as common, has declined severely in numbers in recent years. Let's wish it well.


Then we have a Nut-tree Tussock and finally, a series of pictures of the engaging Straw Dot, a very small macro-moth which has been coming in large numbers for a few weeks. I took these primarily to examine the difference in colours and strength of patterning, a very common feature within many species of UK moths. By contrast to the Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet, the Straw Dot is prospering in the UK, according to the Moth Bible 'probably as a result of higher rainfall'.  I am glad that this suits somebody (other than the garden).




No comments: