Sunday 26 October 2014

Brown and green


Years ago when I was a young reporter on the Bath Evening Chronicle, the Queen visited the city and to the consternation of our Fashion Editor turned out to be wearing a dress in blue and green.

"Blue and green should never be seen, unless there's something in between", she commented severely. As a trainee, I absorbed this into my store of life facts and have often repeated it since, usually to derision in view of my own dressing habits.


Whether it still applies or indeed ever did, I do not know; but certainly foxy, russet brown and green go very well in the coat of the Red-green Carpet. It's also a moth whose costume might appeal to women who live in fear of someone at the same party turning up in the same dress (which I did once see happen to the Queen, or very nearly). Red-green Carpets are very variable. Check out the two shown here from the trap last night. - and here's another couple of pictures of the one which chose, appropriately, one of my russety-coloured eggboxes: first from above, second from below.



Another Carpetty moth came calling too, but in a very battered condition - below. Is it a Common Marbled Carpet? Any ideas would be very welcome as always.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worn November moth?

RJB said...

I think Martin's right, the shape and the double white ticks below the thorax show this is a Common Marbled Carpet.

Richard

Martin Wainwright said...

What magical words: "I think Martin's right". Savour them, because they are rarely seen. On this occasion, however, I think that I (and Richard) are right too.

all warm wishes

M