Tuesday 6 April 2010

Hurray, the moths are back!


Hello again, World!

And earlier than ever this year, though I'll not be recording any moths 'til a new mercury vapour bulb arrives from Watkins & Doncaster (see last year's last entry but one for the Great Rolling Off the Rockery Disaster...) Actually, I will have two new bulbs, cos my age and technical incompetence meant that I did the online order twice. I nearly squished it, but then thought: it's always handy to have a spare.

No, this early start is triggered by a Spring-cleaning frenzy in Wainwright Towers, which involved the taking down of curtains and the discovery of unbelievable ick in the top folds where the hooks are. However, braving this led to the finding of a (sadly, long-dead) Beautiful Golden Y (but see Comment from much-welcomed expert Ben), and this interesting cocoon (below) which I fear from the holes has been raided and sucked dry by a predator (possibly one of the half-dozen spiders, also dead, whose tomb was in the very same curtain folds.)

So, out with the brushes and dusters, and if you are really scientific, sift your Hoover dust before putting it on the flowerbeds or in the bin. More soon, though possibly not tomorrow or for a day or two, unless our cleanup flushes out more treasures.

Doesn't our carpet look interesting close-up in the top pic, btw? As always, click or double-click on the pics to make them bigger.

11 comments:

Phil said...

Reminds me of the mystery presence in my grandmother's family photos. Every one had a dark shape in the bottom left-hand corner. When she died and my mother was clearing out her things she found her old box Browney and solved the mystery: dead clothes moth, jammed in the shutter.

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Phil!

Very nice to hear from you so early - hope you are keeping well. I'm enjoying your Country Diary in the Guardian as ever - the mossy one reminded me of a great job some years ago in Derbyshire where we were taken with great care by conservationists to examine a v rare moss.
That's a great story about the box Brownie. I'm hoping to find more corpses to keep things going til the bulbs arrive. All warm wishes, M

Bennyboymothman said...

Nice to see you back Martin, i'm betting that is a Silver-Y though :)

I bet you can't wait to get your new bulb...'s! hehe

Here's to some more Moths.

Ben

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Benny! Nice to be back in touch too. I expect I have got it wrong - start as I mean to go on, eh... I'm eternally grateful to commentors such as yourself for putting me right. However hard I try my visual skills are such that the police would dread having me for a witness in a court case. Hope all is well with you and yours and good mothing. All v best for now, M

MartinWainwright said...

PS Ben - any idea what the cocoon is, or was?

John said...

Ahhh welcome back Martin, feel like I have just woken from a long slumber. This Winter has been a long one.

MartinWainwright said...

Hi John! Nice to hear from you too. There really is a feeling of Spring at last, isn't there. I was in Calderdale yesterday and the steep valley sides were ablaze with daffodils. I'm greatly looking forward to getting the light going, specially as I'll be three weeks earlier than last year so maybe there'll be some new arrivals. All v best M

Anonymous said...

Great blog Martin !!.

MartinWainwright said...

Hi - thanks very much Mike. Yours too - I just nipped over to have a look and - coincidence - enjoyed the pic of your new bulb, cos I'm planning to post one of mine - exactly the same by the look of it - tomorrow. It arrived this morning from Watkins and Doncaster and is now glowing in the garden. But I mustn't say too much or I'll be repeating myself tomorrow. All v best for now M

Bennyboymothman said...

Nope haven't a clue what the cocoon was, maybe a species of Lasiocampidae??

MartinWainwright said...

Hi B

I think it will remain a mystery known only to God. But you never know. assuming this stuff stays for ever online, some surfing cocoonista may read, check and let us all know...

All best

M