Friday 26 June 2009

Anyone for tennis?



Moths and butterflies have yet to feature on Wimbledon TV coverage, unlike various sorts of bird which make occasional appearances to the crowds' delight. But here's a posed tribute to the tournament, although this Spectacle moth was getting a bit narked by my gentle poking it into position with a wisteria flower stalk. It's poised for take-off, and take-off is what it subsequently did. One thing about Spectacle moths: they wear well. They've been coming to the trap regularly for over a month now but they still look in good shape, not at all tatty or torn. Maybe they have a 'rolling generation' and I keep getting new ones. Here's another handsome arrival in the trap too: a Beautiful Golden Y, understandably-named. Observe also my beautiful thumb. Warm nights, good moths, happy times.

2 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Nice Beautiful Golden-Y, had my first ever aswell the other day.

The one at the top getting into Tennis is a Dark Spectacle :)

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Benny! That's a relief - when I saw it you commenting, I thought you were going to tell me it was a Plain Golden Y. Shameful though it is to admit it, I find them hard to tell apart...

I'm going to have a thoroughly good look at Essex Moths soon btw - it's just horrendously busy at the mo and there's hardly anyone left working for the Guardian outside London these days.

The moths are a consolation!

All best

M