Sunday 23 June 2019

Striking patterns


It's rare to find something obviously and immediately new in the trap, after the long first flush of exciting novelties when we moved from Leeds to the outskirts of Oxford six years ago. But this morning brought one such happy occasion in the form of my first 'streaky' White Ermine.


The species is a very beautiful one, even when a little battered like this example, and well-named. Its combination of pure white and black spots is reminiscent, as I have often remarked, of the collars of peers' robes in the House of Lords. The number and size of spots can vary and streaks are sufficiently well-known to be mentioned in the Moth Bible. But I have never seen them before.


I also managed to persuade this moth to reveal its colourful back, usually very well-hidden under the folded wings. It led me quite as dance, affording only glimpses which I could not snap while it was rushing around, but finally settled long enough in a cosy nook of my curled hand. Here's one of its flanks, to complete the picture:


Another encouraging novelty was reported to me last night from a friend in Tackley, a village three miles up the Banbury Road, when he and his wife were out in their garden having a drink to mark Midsummer Night.  He emailed this picture of a Cream-spot Tiger - another moth I have never seen - below with the optimistic note: 'I hope it was incredibly rare and unique to our locality but I suspect not....'  I passed it on to the unfailingly excellent Upper Thames Moths blog and their superintendent, the omniscient Dave Wilton, replied exactly as our friend hoped: 'Nice one, Martin. I suspect that'll be a very good record indeed for Oxfordshire (it certainly would be for Bucks!)  I presume you know the recorder and can obtain a grid reference for your County Moth Recorder.'  I do and will. But see Update below 😳


Midsummer Night is an apposite time for such a discovery. You may recall that one of Titania's band of fairies in A Midsummer Night's Dream is called...Moth. Here are some of many efforts by theatrical costume designers to realise the concept, below: 


Update: row back on the Tiger drama, everyone! Our Tackley friend was on holiday in Italy when he saw the moth.  Excitement not entirely over, but subdued as they are not uncommon there. Maybe one will come on holiday here...

No comments: