Thursday 20 June 2019

Sharper eye (I hope)



I have got a new camera at last! An iPhone (also at last, in the view of my family who have long derided me for my ancient little £7.50 mobile which couldn't take pictures at all). My first results are as mixed as you might expect from an ageing lensman, but the one above is hearteningly sharper and clearer than I ever managed with the iPad.

So is the one on the left here, designed to show the tinyness of the moth via my famous Thumb Method. But the matching pair on the right is not so successful and I have ditched one or two others where the light and the focus - very much related in digital photography, I find) have led to blurring. My other issue with the generally excellent digital world is the way that light changes colour. You can take two very different pictures, in colour terms, just by touching part of the view on the phone screen in lighter or darker spots.

The moths above are a Dwarf Cream Wave on the left and a Small Fan-footed Wave on the right and they are real tiddlers but immensely delicate. My next moth is quite a lot larger but still modest in size: the Common (but delightful Emerald):


Here is another little Laura Ashley moth resting on the lid of the trap and fortunately undetected by a blackbird which was perching on the rain screen when I rolled up just before 6am. It's a Clouded Silver, very like the Waves but only a distant cousin. And finally, I've included the pic of the Clouded Border on the grass, not for interest in this regular arrival but to show the new camera's sharp focus on the adjacent fly.


No comments: