Tuesday 18 June 2019

Pretty in pink


Oh such a lovely moth this morning, even if my grubby fingers don't exactly live up to its glorious pinks and limes. This is the Small Elephant, not as big as its cousin the Elephant but I think with just an edge in the beauty stakes. Mind you, they are both terrific.


This leaves me with just the Pine and Hummingbird Hawks to complete the usual set here, though I keep putting the lamp by our spuds in the optimistic hope of attracting a Death's Head. After, all they did visit Kirtlington, just a couple of miles away, five years back.


We've got other amazing natural spectacles here at the moment, with an excellent season for the weird and wonderful Lizard Orchid which appeared two years ago - just one, on a roadside verge, where the county council has now protected it against parking with a couple of bollards. We also have the Pyramidal, Common Spotted, Green-winged and Bee - the last, shown in the second picture below, one of my favourite wildflowers.



On our orchid hunt the other day, P and I set up what looks very much like a Large Heath butterfly. I must check with the local butterfly people. It wouldn't open its wings at rest but when flying, it had a vfery definite fawn colour, unlike the Hedge and Meadow Browns. But it is not specially common in this part of the world, so I may be over-hopeful.


As for the other moths: behold a very smart Pale Tussock male on the bulbholder, a handsome Large Twin-Spot Carpet, I think, a Garden Pebble micro, a luscious Green Pug





Even better, a Beautiful Hook-tip - and it is beautiful - and something dark but prettily-patterned which I need to spend more time looking up.



Oh and a couple of other bulbholder fans, maybe because it's near the bulb and therefore warm: the dear little Spectacle and a glinting Burnished Brass.



No comments: