Sunday 21 September 2014

...and mellow fruitfulness


I can complete my Keats quote in the title this morning, after yesterday's Scottish interlude. Before I do, incidentally, I'll add one more point. Moast UK moths and butterflies were named in the late 18th and early 19th century and I guess this accounts for the fact that the ones attributed to Scotland tend to be called 'Scotch'. Nowadays, we get instructed to avoid that form, except when talking about whisky, and use 'Scottish' instead. If this recondite subject catches your interest, read more about it here. And doubless elsewhere on the net.


So to the moths; and welcome to the Sallow family whose yellows and tangerines brighten up the eggboxes at this time of the year. This week has brought me the Orange Sallow which heads this post, the plain Sallow which follows and the Pink-barred Sallow below.  Update: sorry, it's a Centre-barred Sallow - many thanks to the sagacious Ben Sale of Essex Moths in Comments.



Within the same colour spectrum, it was also nice to encounter a (Update: sorry, I forgot to fill this is which is just as well as I was going to put August or September Thorn but actually (thanks to Ben again) it's a Dusky Thorn) and to hold it in the palm of my hand. A lovely moth of a different colour also caused me great pleasure: this Brindled Green whose shades and tones have the subtlety which distinguishes moths from their lovely but sometimes garish relatives, butterflies.


It was tucked in the eggboxes while a complete newcomer for me, a Marbled White Spot, below, preferred to roost on the inside of the moth trap's transparent cowl.


Other arrivals at this abundant time included a Blair's Shoulder-knot, a finely streamlined moth and one of three 20th century immigrant species discovered by a Dr Blair on the Isle of Wight (a favourite arrival point for new species from the Continent) which have since gained a permanent foothold here. The others are Blair's Wainscot and Blair's Mocha. No other British entomologist has had such immortality conferred on their surname. The trio also came in handy during the Blair government, when the doughtiest friend of moths in Parliament, Marilyn Moon MP, was trying to interest the then Prime Minister in the subject.


May I finally welcome an Oak Hook-tip, also new for my garden, a Flame Carpet, a Copper or Svensson's Copper Underwing and the visitors below them whose identities I will establish at leisure (and maybe with help from expert readers to whom thanks in anticipation)?




Update: this is Epiphyas postvittana or the Light Brown Apple moth. We have plenty of green apples turning light brown; thanks again Ben

Snug as a bug in a r.., sorry eggbox Update: this is a Square-spot Rustic. Thanks Ben!
Update: A rather aging Yellow Shell - also courtesy of Ben
Update: Anthophila fabriciana or the Nettle-tap micro. Ben again.
Update from Ben: an old familiar, not that I recognised it: Celypha lacunana

I think the last one may be a Straw Underwing. Update: Nope: Ben puts me right. It's a Turnip moth. But what is this little non-mothy chap, below? Final update and today's last bit of wisdom from Ben: probably an Acorn weevil.




2 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Hi again Martin.

Here again to help you out.

Lovely Orange Sallow, not had one in the garden yet, but plenty of Limes around here.

Your assumed Pink-barred Sallow is a Centre-barred Sallow (these always seem to have a really short flight time, and are already past their best)

Next Dusky Thorn, although I think you knew this already?

Marbled White Spot is a good record, rarely has a second brood and the latest I have ever heard of, well recorded.

Other id's

Epiphyas postvittana
Square-spot Rustic
Yellow Shell
Nettle-tap
Celypha lacunana
Turnip Moth

Last critter, probably an Acorn Weevil.

Cheers and all the best now

Ben

Martin Wainwright said...

Hi Ben!

I always sing a song of happiness when I see your revered name pop up. Thanks SO much for doing the bsuiness once again. I shall set about amending straight away

all warmest wishes - and it looks like staying warm for a while yet, doesn't it? Hooray!

M