Thursday 14 August 2014

Done and dusted


Because the weather continues cheerless and prone to rain, I stashed away the trap last night and concentrated on a final clear-out of my 'current moths' file. Here the last of the remaining pictures with my IDs both definite and tentative. As always, confirmation or correction would be warmly welcome.

I'm not sure why the handsome and purposeful-looking grey moth at the top of the post evaded my regular jottings as I think it's a Sycamore, which I've not recorded this year. Unlike some of the current arrivals, battered by the worse weather since the fag-ends of Hurrican Bertha, it is in prime condition. That can't be said for the sad debris below, found when Penny and I had to change a greenhouse light bulb.


Now for the IDs or occasionally lack of them. First up, a couple of the more delicate bretheren (or sisters): a Light Emerald on the trap canopy and a Willow Beauty (I think).



Then we visit micro-land for a Dark Fruit-tree Tortrix and something beyond me before returning to the macros with a Fan-foot, a familiar moth which ironically is more common than its relative the Common Fan-foot.




Next comes a lovely little Carpet moth, I think the Large Twin-spot, before another small and plain but beautifully trim micro which I believe to be a Water Veneer, widespread except (sorry, Mr Salmond) in Scotland.



Another micro now which I must have more of a go at later (Update: I checked last year's moths which I should do more often but there just isn't time, and this is not a moth but a caddis fly which also visited me in August 2013) and then  a pretty Clouded Silver and what I think is a Large Yellow Underwing. From the book it looks rather like the Lunar Yellow Underwing but that is too rare to be likely.





Now comes that lovely moth with its amorous heart-shape, Acleris forsskaleana, with a second picture showing just what a scrap of a thing it is. 



Next we have  another micro for me to examine at more leisure (Update: thanks to Ben the All-knowledgeable in comments, this is Celypha striana) and one of those noctuids with which Richard has been so helpful in recent Comments. I'm plumping for a Common or Lesser Common Rustic.



Nearly there now, but puzzlingly I can't place the distinctive moth below. Is it one of the Spinaches?  Update: actually, I've just had a look at my Micro Bible and I'm sure it's Endotricha flammealis. Penny keeps telling me I should have a scale for size, though I suppose the close-up of the eggbox fabric should have alerted me to how small this moth was. Then comes a Cream Wave (Update: no, a Small Fan-footed Wave; many thanks once more to Richard in Comments) and two dazzling micros which look slightly different towards the tailfin but I think are both Catoptria pinella.





And there we are. A third micro just below to swot over (Update: many thanks to the Wise Ben in Comments; it's Crambus perlella) and a Cochylis atricapitana micro to finish up with - and my 'current moths' cupboard is bare! Yo!



4 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Hi Martin
Check out Celypha striana and Crambus perlella.

They should fit the bill for the micros near the bottom.

Hope you are well.

Off on hols till September now!
See you
Ben

Martin Wainwright said...

Thanks so much as ever Ben, and have a really good holiday. The moths will miss you - and me too

all warmest

Martin

RJB said...

Hi again Martin,

I think you've missed one, the Cream Wave is a Small Fan-footed Wave.

Cheers,

Richard

Martin Wainwright said...

Ah - many thanks Richard. That's yet another category I puzzle over in vain - will amend. all v best M