Sunday 16 September 2012

Turning to the dark side?


The mornings are getting darker, and so are the moths. The year's first Black Crescents arrived last night, twin Darth Vaders with a little corps of wasps to serve as their Imperial Stormtroopers. Mind you, they were all so sleepy that Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia could have locked them up without their ever knowing. Appearance isn't everything - and actually, don't you think that their tiny wing-crescents of glittering gold are a sign that they're not really from the dark side?


One of them posed without protest for me to photograph its underwing, above. And here below is another Star Warsy character, although it's only a Silver Underwing (sorry, I meant Silver Y - see Comments)  seen from an unusual angle. I mustn't go on and on about many moths resembling jet planes, but this is definitely another which does.

4 comments:

G.FEATHERSTONE said...

Silver underwing?

Unknown said...

The Black Rustics are fantastic, one of my autumnal favourites.

Dave

MartinWainwright said...

Hi both - sorry for delay; I've been scampering about. They are terrific, streamlined, deadly-looking creatures, arent they? And yes, a streak of silver underneath. Interesting how underwings can vary. The reverse side of the Red Underwings is particularly lovely and understated to my mind.

All v best

M

MartinWainwright said...

Sorry G.Featherstone - I was being dozy. I meant Silver Y and have added a note. Many thanks! Wouldn't a Silver Underwing be nice though? all v best M