Tuesday 31 July 2012

I've got mail!

We've been away for the weekend and turned the computer off in our absence. Luckily maybe, because look who's been examining our email.


It isn't a terribly exciting guest (perusal of the micro guide continues - see Update below), but our encounter says something about photography, computers and moths. Above is the visitor taken close-up on micro-mode without flash. Below, behold it with the flash turned on.



It had moved by then to examine another icon, of a photograph of my mother-in-law. I think you can just make out her name, Dilys, on the icon label in the gloomy background to the left of the moth. Update: it's a Brown House Moth, info courtesy of my wise and very helpful commentor Ray who, alarmingly for the UK's tourism industry, is familiar with them in B&Bs. I say 'alarmingly' because these are among the few moths whose genuinely bad habits cast a shadow over the whole and almost entirely blameless moth world. They eat books, cashmere sweaters, socks...

2 comments:

Ray Walton said...

Martin
I am still very much at the novice stage of moth identifications, but I am going to make the bold suggestion that this is the Brown House-moth, having stumbled across a few over the last few weeks myself in various B & B's on my travels!
Ray

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks very much as ever, Ray. You've rescued me from my usual inept trawl through the guide.

I'm sorry you've had those B&B encounters and hope your woollens have survived intact.

Again, much appreciation of your help. I do try, but Penny doubts sometimes whether I recognise our own children.

All warm wishes,

M