Sunday 11 July 2010

Newcomers


This morning it was me that was dozy, not the moths. After a long trip to Northumberland, I got up late, but the catch was all sleeping too, possibly because the wind had got up in the night and it isn't a morning for fluttering around half-comatose on fragile wings. I have some new arrivals, which is increasingly unusual now that I am into my fifth year of using the light. On the yellow box is Single-dotted Wave, a lovely delicate creature although hopelessly misnamed: it is covered with dots. On the black background (the trap bowl) we have appropriately a Blackneck, described as 'local' - ie not so common - by my Waring, Townsend and Lewington pals. Finally, if any of my much-appreciated expert readers can identify the browny moth below, with the black pattern which looks like something for riddling an Aga, I'd be very grateful. It's probably a routine species with a slightly different patterning from the norm (there's a version of the Common Rustic which looks similiar), but my muddled brain has so far failed to nail it. The only forensic assistance I can offer is the end of my thumb, to indicate size, although the relatively sharp rake of the wings' trailing edge at rest may help too.
Afterthought: is it that forlornly-named moth, the Dingy Shears? If so, it completes a trio of newcomers and is also, according to my 2003 edition of WT&L, local. But it may not be dingy enough.
Latest thought from a mothy friend: a Grey or Dark Dagger, maybe the rosea form of the DD. The mystery continues...


No comments: