Wednesday 14 July 2010

Deceptively small


Don't be fooled by this tiny character, the Spindle Ermine micromoth. Titchy though it is, its caterpillars can cover vast areas with a sticky silken web. They do this to protect themselves from predators but clearly haven't heard about keeping things in proportion. Provided you have the right player, take a look at this BBC film which my entomologically industrious niece Jessie (she of the Borneo photos posted here earlier this summer) sent me: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8745959.stm
We've never had anything on that scale here, but who knows what is going on inside that small moth head? There are a lot of micros around at the moment and I will try to give some more their tiny but honourable niche in posts to come. btw is that the ghost of a glass of rose in the background; maybe a portent of my coming summer holiday? But must go now...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"btw is that the ghost of a glass of rose in the background"

No, it`s a Large Yellow Underwing ;-)

MartinWainwright said...

oh yes, so it is. How remarkable! mind you, a glass of wine in the moth trap would be even more remarkable, though I occasionally have one with me when I set the trap. I did find a sparrow in there two years ago too. Not good for the moths...

All best

M

sebi_2569 said...

nice photo; nice blog; bravo

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks sebi and sorry for the delay in saying that. I've been in Paxos where there were some wonderful butterflies - see latest entry. All v best M