Saturday 16 May 2020

Thin pickings


It was a lot warmer last night and first thing this morning, after our frosty run, but I suppose these things are relative. At all events, the moths seem to be playing their cards carefully. There were fewer than a dozen in the eggboxes although they included three species new for this year.
The first was this tiny scrap, shown in the first picture with the only thing I had with me for scale, my specs, plus of course the inevitable bit of eggbox. The moth was on the floor of the trap originally, where photography is impossible (for me at least), but I managed to entice it, amid much mini-fluttering, on to the scrap of box. It was so tiny, I was lucky to spot it. 

To the best of my knowledge and ID work in the Micro-moth Bible (aka guesswork), it is Aethes smeathmanniana, a bit of a ponderous name for the mite to bear. But I will need to check this with the Upper Thames Moths experts. Ditto this morning's other. slightly larger micro below, although I think it is one of the Cnephasia family as Edward suggested of the similar micro a couple of days ago, which my camera improved with a hint of green.


Two new-for-the-year macro moths now: a Common Wainscot, precursor of many hundreds of that graceful tribe which will spend a night here between now and the Autumn; and the boldly-marked Clouded-bordered Brindle, another lovely moth. They were joined by a Pebble Prominent whose wing-shape is strikingly different and unusually rounded for a UK moth.




We happened to have some old sheets in the garden which we used on the frosty nights to protect our infant veg, so I made a tablecloth for the light trap to stand on, to see if any arrivals might prefer to snooze there. I have seen this used to startling effect in Indonesia.  Oxfordshire is not Indonesia, however, and last night's tally was just one: this little Green Carpet.

3 comments:

Edward Evans said...

That is indeed Aethes Smithmanniana and a Cnephasia. Nice to see a Wainscot,
slick and overlooked moths that I find rather pretty. Two of the flower seeds that I sowed germinated the night before last and the lettuces survived the frost so all the garden here is well. Stay safe, Edward.

Martin Wainwright said...

Hi Edward - thanks for your vote of confidence! And that's good news about the veg. We've lost some beans - I think, though plants powers of recovery are amazing.

I very much like Wainscots. We get the large one here later in the year, which is quite a sight

All warmest

M

Edward Evans said...

Large Wainscots are quite scarce here in Calderdale mainly because they are a lowland species and Calderdale is most certainly the opposite with its rugged terrain and moors. With the seeds there's only another 30 I'm waiting on!
Stay safe, Edward.