Wednesday 1 January 2020

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year - both generally and specifically for all involved in the world of moths. 2019 was pretty dire in the wider sense, but in Mothland it's hard to see how I am going to surpass the Clifden Nonpareil's arrival in the next 12 months. Or indeed beyond.



I was surprised to click on this page for the first time in a while, just now, to see how long it is since I last posted. Life's been busy, with Christmas and the death at the mighty age of 101 of my mother-in-law a couple of weeks before. She always took a kindly if rather puzzled interest in my hobby and gave me many, much-appreciated, moth-related cards and other items over all the 40-plus years since P and I met.



I have put the trap out a couple of times, with little more than a few December and Winter Moths and - last night as shown in my top picture - small and usually uninteresting (to me) flies. On a regular morning's inspection, these escape my notice altogether. But with nothing else in the trap apart from the sad remains of a handful of previous visitors attacked by spiders (third picture), I thought you might like to see them.  The helpful arrow below shows how tiddly one is in the context of its eggbox home.


There were of course other distractions last night, in the usually dark world inhabited by moths.  Here's a small selection, below, of what they missed.  Once again meanwhile, a very happy New Year to you and yours.






No comments: