Friday 18 August 2017

Dusky at dusk


Penny the ace indoor moth spotter has been at it again, glancing up at the kitchen ceiling while cooking last night and spotting a tiny moth - scarcely bigger than your average micro but with the wings-spread-at-rest habit which is characteristic of macro moths.

After an intrepid if slightly wobbly balancing act on the work surface, I took the picture above and ID-ed the visitor as a Small Dusky Wave, a common species but one which I have only ever had in the trap once, in September 2014. I found another one on a wall in London, quite by chance, two years ago. It was gloaming time, and like our kitchen visitor, the moth had been attracted by a house light. Update: Apologies; I am carried away by my cunningly punning headline. It is Dusty not Dusky. Many thanks to Alastair in Comments for putting me right.

Grandchildren etc have kept me very busy in the last few days but I hope to put the trap out again tonight. Today is sunny and warm but rain lurks, as happened yesterday - a blissful afternoon was followed by a veritable downpour.  Oh, and I will add the picture below of a lovely second brood White Ermine which called by last week - my granddaughter's favourite moth.


2 comments:

Alastair Rae said...

Sorry to be pedantic but it's Dusty not Dusky.

Martin Wainwright said...

Oops, sorry. There goes my headline...

Thanks very much for putting me right

all warm wishes

Martin