Wednesday 24 December 2014

MERRY CHRISTMAS!


...and the happiest of New Years too. Things have been very quiet here since I last posted, with few nights of trapping and nary a moth to show for it. Don't imagine that the trap has become redundant, however.


Behold! It is enjoying a new, 12-day role as a Christmas bauble.

The container is the partly-built treehouse which Penny and I are making for our granddaughter; slowly, because that is how increasingly we do most things, but at a reasonable pace because it needs to be finished before she is old enough to an express an opinion like that demanding little girl who harasses her Dad about her treehouse in the TV ads.

With the help of our younger son Olly, we cut stars (and a moon; she is very keen on the moon) in old cardboard boxes from our move, blocked up the windows and Bingo!  I hope you like the effect.



Whether any moths are attracted by this strange object, will be an interesting issue. I will report after Twelfth Night.

Meanwhile, I hope that you and yours have a very happy time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas Martin.

Katie (Nature ID) said...

This is so fun! You have a very lucky granddaughter. I'll be curious to hear if you catch any winter moths. Merry Christmas!

Ray Walton said...

Seasonal greetings to all in the Wainwright household.

Martin Wainwright said...

Hi all and a dreadfully belated thanks Hope you've all had a lovely Christmas and that the weather hasn't been too grim. Katie, I guess you may have had snow - some amazing pics have been shown from the US in the last few weeks. No winter moths yet but I'm planning to galvanise myself in early March. All warmest wishes all, M

Katie (Nature ID) said...

ps - I live on the central coast of California (opposite side of the US from where the extra snow hit Boston). At home, it hit 77F/25C for a couple days last week - this is unusually warm! I've seen butterflies and moths since the first full week of January and my first dragonfly of the year on Valentine's Day.

Martin Wainwright said...

You live in the right place Katie! Though it's nice and sunny here today That sounds a good Valentine's omen too. all warm wishes M