Wednesday 11 June 2014

Multitudes, part 2


The catch was so stupendous on Monday night that I have given myself a rest as well as the moths. I don't think I'll ever catch up completely - there were 53 Hearts and Darts alone - but here are some more of the arrivals on that lovely warm night.  Above is an old favourite, the Dark Arches, whose name is also used for the fascinating undercroft of Leeds City Station, a series of gloomy brick arcades over the rushing river Aire.


Then we have a least Black Arches, above, and a curious micro below which I will have to spend time tracking down in my various books or online. Update: see the infinitely wise Ben in Comments. I shall fully update the text of the post later.  Thanks ever so, yet again, Ben!


What a handsome Carpet moth this is, below, even though it is only  the Common member of this large family.


And here is a Bee Moth micro followed by a Green Pug whose perch on the trap's transparent collar allowed me to photograph it with a rather beautiful French impressionistic background.





Another micro to keep me occupied


and then this lovely beast below, a Broad-barred White


and a Coronet, with a rather similar colourway


Next, a Shears, in good condition and showing its little nippers particularly well


And then another engaging micro, which will have me deep in study later.


So to one of those tedious Noctuids, a polite name for the brownish moths of a certain size which I find very hard to distinguish.


And here's another. albeit rather more handsome


And another, this time almost verging on the pretty


And a fourth, tail to tail with a Bright-line, Brown-eye, which I do recognise.


And so to a final few, each with a caption. Here's to more warm June nights. The lamp is glowing as I write...

Bright-line, Brown-eye

The first of three micros whose turn for ID-ing will take a while

A second micro which is going to need careful attention to the books

And a third,  blue-eyed micro which I'll ID later (unless someone beats me to it)

Pale Prominent with its distinctive twin exhausts - a species now well into
 its second month of visiting

Cinnabar outside the trap - like White Ermines and Brimstone moths,
this species is wary of going inside

4 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Hi Martin.
Nice catch, still awaiting a Dark Arches!
I know it is fun looking the micros up, but thought you might want a hand with ids again? Sorry if I have spoilt your fun.
Here goes.

3rd picture down - Tortrix - Aphelia paleana

5th picture down - Not Bee Moth but Ephestia parasitella

7th picture down Celypha lacunana

9th picture down - Not Coronet ut a Minor species

11th picture down - Chrysoteuchia culmella

12th - Brown Rustic
13th - Large Nutmeg (pale wedges on the outer wing are diagnostic for these)

14th WELL DONE! One I have never seen and hoping to get tonight - Reddish Light Arches

15th - A worn Rustic Shoulder-knot with the BLBE

17th - Eucosma cana
18th - Caddis fly
19th - Chrysoteuchia culmella

Phew, hope that has helped buddy.

Keep up the splendid trapping :)

Ben

Martin Wainwright said...

Ben you are amazing! I so much appreciate your help, the genial tone in which you give it and the way that you wear your incredible knowledge and detective skills so lightly

it is sort-of fun looking up micros but the noctuid macros drive me round several bends

I will be over your way v soon to have a catch up

all warmest wishes

M

Dave Wilton said...

Hi Martin,

Just in case you've not picked it up from the Upper Thames blog, your 'Reddish Light Arches' is in fact a Large Nutmeg.

Cheers,

Dave

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks v much Dave and apols for the long delay - we've been in and out and my eye's been off the moth ball. You look right to me but will just check with Ben to see what he says, as my guide of long standing. All good wishes, M