Friday 2 August 2024

Freshly minted

 

A chip of vivid colour close to our herb patch in the hottest part of the day alerted me to the welcome presence of a Mint Moth, the micro Pyrausta aurata, which loves to sunbathe and lick the tasty leaves of mint - and indeed of other flavoursome herbs such as the Fennel in my picture.


I found it after a pleasant time checking out the contents of the eggboxes in the moth trap which included a Yellowtail which was, unusually, only too eager to show off the reason for its name.


Indoors, meanwhile, Penny spotted this Yellow Shell, a moth which I often set up form bushes and shrubs during the daytime. And below we have a Common or Lesser Common Rustic with particularly well-defined white crescents, or 'ears' on its wings.


I had another very enjoyable hour in the Trap Grounds meanwhile, and here is a collage of some of my discoveries, including a big, fat but very unaggressive Hornet at the bottom right. I think you'll recognise the others: Peacock, Speckled Wood, Ringlet, Gatekeeper, Cinnabar moth caterpillar with its "Keep away! I'm toxic' colouring, Small White, Small Skipper and male Banded Demoiselle damselfly.


No comments: